Let’s face it, there is nothing like that feeling of settling in with a steamy mug of coffee and simply enjoying the moment. It’s no surprise that you want to find the absolute best coffee out there—and we all know how quickly Amazon delivers. But how can you be sure you are actually getting the best? The thought alone can be overwhelming.
To find the best coffee on Amazon, you’ll need to think about what you really want in a cup of coffee and narrow your search to focus on those characteristics. Amazon reviews will give you some very helpful feedback. But a quick Google search or a look at the seller’s website can give you that extra edge and lead you right to your perfect brew.
That tasty mug of liquid energy is your go-to every morning and the shot in the arm you need to power through that afternoon slump.When something is such a big part of your day, you want nothing but the best. And, with so many delicious coffee options, you can be sure Amazon has the one you need. It’s just a matter of finding it.
I decided to look for the best cup of coffee on Amazon. And my initial search left me with over 20,000 results. Where do you even begin that many choices?
Decide What You Really Want in a Cup of Coffee
Before you can find the best coffee on Amazon, you need to know what best means for you. Is flavor the most important thing? Or, is an ethically-sourced coffee your must-have? And what about the level of caffeine —is that a big consideration?
Knowing the answers to these questions will start you off in the right direction. But how do you know that your coffee of choice matches your wishes? Here are some things you can look for:
- Arabica vs. Robusta Beans: Arabica and Robusta are the two varieties of coffee beans used today. Arabica beans are the better quality, with a smoother, richer flavor—and a higher price tag. Robusta beans can be more bitter and are commonly used in coffee blends. Robusta beans typically have more caffeine.
- Whole bean vs. ground: If you have the time to grind your coffee fresh each time you brew, whole beans are by far the better option. Once the coffee is ground, it starts to lose its flavor. So, while the convenience of ground coffee can’t be overstated, for the best flavor whole bean coffee is your answer.
- Read the label: Your coffee’s packaging has many vital clues. Look for both a roasted on- and a best by- date so you know how fresh it is. And, quality coffee will come in a vacuum-sealed bag with a vent that lets carbon dioxide escape, so the coffee stays fresh even longer.
- Sourcing: An ethically-sourced coffee will be certified by both Fair Trade and USDA organic.
- Caffeine Content: A darker bean has less caffeine than a light roast.
- Description: A seller who is confident in the quality of their coffee will provide a detailed description of the flavor. They know the taste will be evident in every cup. By contrast, if a description includes cliché words like chocolatey or nutty, they may be trying to cover up flaws in the roast.
Are you still unsure of what brew is best for you? An online coffee quiz is an easy solution. These are fast and fun and can help you decide on your favorite flavor profile. A dark roast? Or maybe you’re the iced-coffee type. You can even find your best coffee based on the brewing method you like to use.
A coffee sampler is another helpful route you could try. Amazon has thousands to offer. And you can filter your search by region, roast level, caffeine content, or type of grind—whatever sparks your curiosity. These samplers can be a cost-efficient way to find the coffee you like best.
Don’t Underestimate the Power of a Google Search
Once you know what type of coffee you want, see what you find about it in a quick Google search. If a coffee is truly the best, you can be sure that people will be talking about it. These searches give lots of interesting details like lists of the best coffees with comparisons of their flavor profiles, chats about the philosophy and practices of various brands, and even the best brewing methods for a particular roast.
These tips will really help you streamline your list. Without question, comparing five or ten products is a much easier task than sifting through 20,000 reviews! And, knowing that you’ll be purchasing from an established company that will keep making that delicious product is always good to know.
Getting the Most Out of an Amazon Review
Reviews are a valuable tool in your pursuit of the best cup of coffee. Many reviews are quite helpful and offer valuable insight. But how do you know if you can trust them? Since people are two to three times more likely to leave a negative review, are 1-star reviews even worth reading? On the other hand, a 5-star review with little other information may not be helpful either.
Look for these things to get the most from an Amazon review.
- Verified Reviews: Amazon will label reviews from customers who have actually purchased the product as verified purchase reviews. So, you have the added assurance this reviewer has tried the product and that their feedback is trustworthy.
- Seller Feedback: Negative reviews, unfortunately, will happen. But sellers who respond to these reviews demonstrate pride in their product as well as good customer service and concern for a high-quality product.
- Detailed Reviews: A 3- or 4-star review that includes a detailed explanation is much more helpful than a series of vague 5-star reviews. Maybe the issue was a shipping problem beyond the seller’s control. The coffee, however, may have been the best they ever had.
- Authentic Reviews: Yes, unfortunately, we live in a time when not all reviews are legitimate. You’ll want to avoid both overly positive and overly negative reviews as well as those with especially bad grammar or a lot of misspellings.
- Helpful Reviews: If you find a review that others have marked as helpful, you have found one that you can surely trust. These reviews generally focus on the specific product and related practical issues.
Check to see the most common rating a product gets and read a handful of those reviews. That will give you a pretty accurate account of what people think. And, hearing opinions from people who actually tried a product is a great way to find your best cup of coffee.
Don’t Skip the Seller’s Website
Once you have found that ideal brew, you’ll want to savor it again and again. How can you be sure to make that happen? Can you trust this seller to keep making a consistent, delicious product?
An established, reliable company is more likely to survive today’s competitive market so you can keep getting the brew you love. Take a look at that company’s website to learn a little bit about them. Have they been around a while? Is the website professional? Some websites also include extra tidbits for you—best brewing techniques, recipes, upcoming products, and more.
Amazon has a myriad of coffees for all tastes and preferences and your best cup is surely among them. So, take the time to do a little research before you buy. After all, life is too short for mediocre coffee!
Best Places to Get Bunn Coffee Pots
Frequently Asked Questions
Once coffee beans are ground, the oxidation process begins and the flavor weakens. Whole bean coffee stays fresher for much longer. Additionally, whole bean coffee can be ground to suit your needs—course ground for a French press or fine for a pour-over brew, for example.
There is no argument that whole beans ground just before you brew your coffee do taste better. But we’ve all had those busy Monday mornings that make the convenience of pre-ground coffee hard to beat!
The jury is still out on this one. The answer, it seems, varies widely based on personal preference and how much coffee you need to brew.
Coffee brewed using the pour-over method will brew a smoother cup of coffee with a more pronounced flavor. Not only do you have control of the temperature, but you can saturate the grounds completely and evenly. However, as perfect as that cup of coffee will be, pour-over coffee will yield just that—one cup at a time. And, the process can be slow, sometimes as long as fifteen minutes.
A French press on the other hand, will make several cups in half the time. Since no filter is used, more oils from the beans are absorbed, resulting in a richer taste and thicker texture. The cleanup, however, can be a chore, and you’ll likely have a few grounds seep into your cup of joe.
To learn more on how to start your own coffee shop checkout my startup documents here
Please note: This blog post is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Please consult a legal expert to address your specific needs.
Hi! I’m Shawn Chun
My adventure in coffee began when I first launched my first coffee shop back in the early 2000s. I had to figure out so many things on my own and to make it worse within 2 years of opening two large corporate coffee chains moved in just blocks away from me!
As I saw smaller and even some larger coffee shops in the neighborhood slowly lose customers to these giant coffee chains and slowly close up shop, I knew that I had to start getting creative…or go out of business.
I (like you may be) knew the coffee industry well. I could make the best latte art around and the foam on my caps was the fluffiest you have ever seen. I even had the best state-of-the-art 2 group digital Nuova Simonelli machine money could buy. But I knew that these things alone would not be enough to lure customers away from the name brand established coffee shops.
Eventually, through lots of trial and error as well as perseverance and creativity I did find a way to not only survive but also thrive in the coffee/espresso industry even while those corporate coffee chains stayed put. During those years I learned to adapt and always faced new challenges. It was not always easy, however, in the end, I was the sole survivor independent coffee shop within a 10-mile radius of my location. Just two corporate coffee chains and I were left after that year. All told the corporate coffee chains took down over 15 small independent coffee shops and kiosks and I was the last one standing and thriving.
Along the years I meet others with the same passion for coffee and I quickly learned that it is not only “how good a barista is” that makes a coffee shop successful, but the business side of coffee as well.
Hence why I started this website you are on now. To provide the tools and resources for up and coming coffee shop owners to gain that vital insight and knowledge on how to start a coffee shop successfully.
Stick around, browse through my helpful blog and resources and enjoy your stay! With lots of LATTE LOVE!